Bee Sting Allergy Treatment in Sewickley, PA
The Basics of Bee Stings
Bee sting allergies may range in severity from minor burning and tingling to life-threatening symptoms. The allergies are caused by a reaction in the immune system which occurs when your body is stung. Typically, you will feel a sharp burning or stinging sensation, and redness in the affected area. This stinging sensation is typically caused by melittin, a component of bee venom which causes the irritation commonly associated with a bee sting.
The severity of reactions can differ from person to person and often depends on where you have been stung. Severe allergic reactions may lead to anaphylactic shock which requires emergency medical attention and is often life-threatening.
Symptoms of Bee Sting Allergies
- Swelling of the affected areas
- Itching and tingling in affected areas
- Constricted airways
- Rapid pulse
Treating Bee Sting Allergies
Most allergic reactions to bee stings are minor. The standard treatment is to immediately remove the stinger from your skin, sanitize the area, and apply ice or a cool compress for quick symptom relief. Moderate bee sting allergies are commonly treated with corticosteroids and antihistamines. Mild to moderate symptoms typically disappear within a few days and are nothing more than an inconvenience.
Anaphylaxis is by far the most life-threatening symptom of bee sting allergies. A doctor may use epinephrine to help reduce symptoms and open the airways. It is common for doctors to prescribe epinephrine autoinjectors in order to provide patients with immediate treatment for anaphylactic shock .
Request more information about bee sting allergies today. Call (724) 915-1049 or contact Medical Wellness Associates online.
Medical Wellness Associates
Jeannette, PA 15644
8:00 am - 7:30 pm
Tue: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 7:30 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 5:30 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 2:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm